Weekend News Anchor/Weekday Reporter
Posted Oct. 28, 2019 2:09PM
KRGV-TV Channel 5 News, the ABC affiliate in the Rio Grande Valley of south Texas is looking for a Weekend Anchor/Weekday Reporter. We’re looking for a storyteller who can help grow our audience on-air and online with great newscasts and great storytelling during the weekdays.
KRGV Channel 5 News is The Valley’s News Channel, the #1 rated and largest news operation in the market. We do more news than any other station in English or in Spanish on our Independent Spanish language station SOMOS NOTICIAS, a full service 24/7 TV and digital news operation.
The right candidate must have a passion for telling good stories and aggressively creating good content on all platforms. Generate significant enterprise local and hyper local news stories and be able to write for broadcast and digital platforms.
We’re looking for a leader who will help plan and execute winning weekend news coverage on-air and online.
- • Anchor weekend newscasts, either mornings or evenings
- • Work closely with the weekend staff including producers, reporters, video editors and the digital team to develop news content and help to produce compelling, up to date newscasts.
- • Write and copy-edit stories, using best practices for excellent broadcast style.
- • Establish a good on-air rapport with other members of the weekend team, especially with weekend meteorologists and sports anchors.
Three days a week, you will be a general assignment reporter, develop and pitch daily enterprise stories, editing and writing stories, daily live shots and web posting. May include shooting as an MMJ. You may also fill-in anchor as requested by management.
- • Work closely with a photographer-visual storyteller to produce stories that stand out.
- • Produce digital content daily that relates to each TV story.
- • Post daily on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook
- • Outside of the regular work day you’ll be expected to make public appearances on behalf of the station
A minimum of one year’s experience anchoring/reporting for a commercial television news operation. An above-average, demonstrable knowledge of television newscast production techniques and television news writing very helpful
Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred.
KRGV (ABC) is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen – Weslaco – Brownsville – McAllen, Texas DMA #78) Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance, we want to ensure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
If you know of any person(s) who might be qualified for the above vacancy, please send a cover letter and resume to Tammy Meier, Personnel Manager, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599; or e-mail to email@example.com.