Posted May 14, 2019 6:19 PM
Mobile Video Tapes, Inc., (dba KRGV-TV) is looking for someone with vision and heart to take on a challenging position in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas. This person will lead and manage the planning, production and presentation of news, plus supervise news and technical staff. You will help define and maintain ethical, legal, and journalistic standards of the station. We are on the US-Mexico Border on the frontlines of the immigration argument. If you like challenge and creating your own future, this is your chance to build a great resume. The person who takes this job will run two news teams, an English and a Spanish team. If you’re bilingual, it will help, but it’s not a requirement. You’ll have the help of two Executive Producers and an Assistant News Director.
You’ll have all the latest tools and gadgets you could want to make the team shine and maximize potential.
You’ll enjoy two news bureaus, two satellite trucks, and a rack of Dejero’s. You will have the rare opportunity to work with a full staff of photographers. Plus, you will enjoy the full support of the General Manager and the family who owns this station.
Job description and qualifications:
- Manages all aspects of the News Department
- Plans and manages staffing, and training for the News Department.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
- Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
- Critiques newscasts to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
- Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
- Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
- Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
- Responds to coverage questions.
- Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English. Spanish not required but a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum eight years’ experience in news programming production, with at least three years’ experience in a leadership role.
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
KRGV (ABC) is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen – Weslaco – Brownsville – McAllen, Texas DMA #78) Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance, we want to ensure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
If you know of any person(s) who might be qualified for the above vacancy, please send a cover letter and resume to Tammy Meier, Personnel Manager, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599; or e-mail to email@example.com.