McAllen Fire Department offers space heater safety tips
Space heaters can be dangerous if they’re not used properly or they malfunction — but if you follow these steps, you can avoid complications.
McAllen Fire Department’s Public Life and Safety Officer Dr. Lucas Garza has the following tips:
- • Buy space heaters that are accredited by a licensing agency, such as Underwriter Laboratory, to ensure the safety of the device
- • Consider buying space heater that has safety shut off switch
- • If you’re not in the same room, shut off the space heater or unplug it
- • Keep out of reach of children or pets
- • Keep it within 3-feet distance from anything that can catch fire, such as furniture or curtains
- • Read instructions and manufacturer’s recommendations
- • If space heater is gas-powered, make sure you have carbon monoxide detector
New timeline of Uvalde shooting
Explainer: Terroristic threat charge comes with different levels of penalties
Police chase ends with driver crashing into gas meter
Experts provide tips on how to talk to your kids about the...
Uvalde shooting leading to growing controversy over process of buying weapons